After my friends paid $7 each for a slice of a banana bread in Kiama, I wanted to show that it was possible, and easy to make a whole loaf of banana bread for much less than that. I have tried to make this version a little healthier than the average ones you buy. Enjoy !
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 60 minutes/ Makes 1 loaf
- 3 large ripe bananas, mashed roughly
- 2 cups plain flour (you can use wholemeal for extra fibre)
- 1tsp bicarb soda
- 1tsp baking powder
- 2 eggs
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg
- ½cup sunflower oil
- ½ cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- Preheat your oven to 180°C
- In a mixing bowl, cream the eggs and sugar together.
- Stir in the mashed bananas, vanilla and oil
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and spices.
- Add the flour mixture to the wet mixture in two parts and combine well.
- Pour the mixture into a loaf tin and bake for about an hour or until a skewer is removed dry.