When you’re on a multi-day hike and carrying all of your food, you need something lightweight to keep you going. These white chocolate, cranberry and pistachio energy bars are high energy and high protein to help sustain your energy over those massive hiking kilometres. Best of all, no oven required!
Preparation Time: 25 minutes / Cooking Time: 15 minutes/ Makes 16 bars
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 2/3 cup almond meal
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 cup sesame seeds
- 125g butter (or a polyunsaturated spread)
- 1/2 cup honey or golden syrup
- 1/3 cup brown sugar, firmly packed
- In a mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients together, leaving aside 1/2 cup of white chocolate chips
- In a saucepan over a medium heat, combine butter, honey and sugar and dissolve the sugar.
- Bring the butter mixture to boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 5 or so minutes until the mixture is pulling away from each other when you are tilting the pan (the mixture will be quite thick, with a toffee-like consistency)
- Pour the butter mixture into the bowl of dry ingredients and stir evenly
- Place mixture into a grease baking pan and sprinkle the remainder of the white chocolate chips on top. Use the back of a metal spoon to press down on mixture
- Place in the fridge or freezer to cool for about 20minutes or until mixture is firm. Cut into squares.