I love red wine, you probably know this if you’ve visited my site a few times. I adore using spices as well. Together, red wine and spices can make a deliciously aromatic and warming drink on a cold night, particularly when you’re camping in the crisp open air.
Preparation Time: 5 mins; Cooking Time: 15-20 minutes; Makes approx. 4 cups
- 1 bottle of red wine (I usually choose a more full-bodied, fruity red such as Shiraz or a Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 1/2 cup of brandy
- 1 orange, sliced
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 1 red apple, sliced (I like to use Royal Gala or Pink Lady)
- 1/4 cup of dried currants (or sultanas or raisins)
- 2/3-3/4cup of brown sugar, firmly packed
- 4 cinnamon sticks
- 6-8 star anise
- 1 tsp cloves
- 1/2 tsp cardamom pods
- 1/2 tsp fennel seeds
- In a large saucepan, add all ingredients except for the sugar
- Place on a medium heat and bring to a simmer (making sure you do not bring the mixture to a boil)
- Simmer, uncovered, stirring the mixture occasionally add brown sugar to your tasting.
- Serve warm.