Baba ghanouj, baba ganoush, baba ghanoush- I am not exactly sure which is correct! People often say that they never know how to cook with eggplant and this is one easy dip to help you get started on an aubergine adventure. I’ve made it very similar to the hummus recipe so feel free to add a bit more spice like I do.
Preparation Time: 10 mins; Cooking Time: 10 minutes; Makes approx 2 cups
- 1 large eggplant, cut in half.
- 1 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbsp of tahini (a sesame seed paste)
- 3/4 cup of low fat natural yoghurt
- The juice of 1 medium sized lemon
- 2 garlic clove (crushed)
- 1 ½ tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- Pepper (for seasoning)
- 1 tsp Harissa sauce; or
- 1 large chilli, chopped; or
- 1 small jalepeno, chopped (roughly 1/3 cup)
- Preheat an oven to 160 degrees celsius
- Place the two halves of the eggplant on a baking tray with insides facing up. Drizzle the eggplant halves with oil and place in the oven for 10 minutes or until the top is slightly charred. Leave to cool.
- Scoop out the insides of the egg plant and place into a food processor or blender with the remaining ingredients.
- Blend until smooth.