I love oats for breakfast during any season. They are so cheap, versatile and just plain heart-warming. This version uses the combination of orange and vanilla bean to create the most beautiful citrus flavour (something that you can enjoy all-year round). Top with some syrupy seasonal fruit and chopped nuts, in my case here: summer peaches and pistachios. Quick, easy, delicious.
Preparation Time: 5 minutes / Cooking Time: 10 minutes / Serves 1
- 1/3 cup rolled oats
- 3/4 cup milk ( I use soy milk for it’s malty flavour)
- The juice of one orange
- 1 tsp vanilla bean extract
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 peach, sliced
- 1 tbsp crushed pistachios
- Add oats, milk, orange juice , and vanilla into a saucepan and stir over a medium heat.
- Continue stirring and cook for about 5 minutes until the mixture reaches a porridge-like consistency (add milk as necessary to create your preferred consistency)
- Remove from heat.
- In a separate saucepan heat honey and add peaches, coating them evenly.
- Cook for 5 minutes until a syrupy-like consistency and then place on top of the cooked oats
- Sprinkle with chopped pistachios (or your choice of nut)and serve.