If you know me, you know I love to use oats as an ingredient. I use it as a foundation for a lot of recipes because they are so affordable, nutritious and they store very well. To make oats a little bit more gourmet, I toast them with the healthy oils found in nuts, seeds and sunflower oil and add a bit of apricot and honey to hit that sweet spot. This toasted muesli is great to prepare at home to take on a weekend camping or hiking trip- full of wholesome goodness, it is the breakfast of champions.
*Check out the ‘Food’ section for markets- including Marrickville Organic Food Market, that sell nuts and seeds in bulk
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 50 minutes / Makes approximately 3 cups
- 2 1/2 cup rolled oats
- 100g almonds, roughly crushed (using a mortar and pestle)
- 100g dried apricots, sliced finely
- 50g pistachios, roughly crushed (using a mortar and pestle)
- 50g of pepitas
- 50g sunflower seeds
- 50g desiccated coconut
- 1/3 cup sunflower oil
- 1/3 cup honey
- The juice of one orange
- Pre heat the oven to 140 degrees Celsius (120 degrees Celsius, fan-forced oven)
- In a oven tray, add all the dry ingredients except for the apricots and combine with a spoon so all the ingredients and evenly combined.
- Pour oil, honey and juice evenly onto mixture and stir through evenly.
- Place the tray into the oven for 50 minutes or until the muesli is golden brown and slightly crunchy. Make sure that you use a spoon to stir mixture every 15 or so minutes, to make sure that the muesli is toasted evenly throughout.
- Leave to cool and then combine apricots evenly throughout the muesli.
- Once completely cool, store in an airtight container.