I have never been a big fan of beetroot from a can but I love using fresh beetroot in a lot of things, including salads. Being vegetarian, I always try to ‘beef up’ (excuse the irony) my salads with nuts, seeds and beans so it packs a punch with protein, unsaturated fat and complex carbohydrates to provide a good nutritious meal or side dish.
Preparation Time: 10 minutes / Cooking Time: 40 minutes / Serves 4-6
- 2 medium beetroots, peeled and cut into approx 3cm x 3 cm cubes.
- 1 can (400g) brown lentils, drained or ¾ cup cooked lentils (cook according to pack)
- ½ Spanish onion, diced finely
- 90 g of reduced fat feta cheese (crumbled or diced)
- 200g spinach leaves
- 1/3 cup almonds, raw
- ¼ cup of pepitas (sunflower seeds)
- Juice of a lemon
- 3 tbsp, olive oil
- Olive oil spray
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius
- Boiled beetroot in a saucepan for 15-20minutes or until slightly tender (firm, but you can prick with a fork)
- Spread boiled beetroot on a baking tray and spray the cubes with olive oil. Place in the oven for approximately 15-20minutes to roast the beetroot
- Combine all the remaining ingredients into salad bowl and toss until combined (try not to over mix the ingredients).
- Cool the roasted beetroot and when lukewarm, combine with the remaining salad