Pink Garlic Soup from Lautrec
Pink garlic is recognised for its more subtle, sweet aromas and taste. This recipe is taken from http://www.ailrosedelautrec.com/.While pink garlic is exclusively grown around Lautrec in the Tarn Region of south-western France, you can use a locally grown garlic as a substitute. To extend the life of your garlic, remember to store it in a dry place and avoid keeping it in your fridge. Bon appétit!
Preparation Time: 5 minutes/ Cooking Time: 10 minutes/ Serves 4
- 2L Water
- 10 cloves of pink garlic from Lautrec, crushed (or other garlic such as white or purple if you’re not in the area)
- 1tsp mustard
- 1 egg
- 1 cup oil (such as olive)
- 150g dried vermicelli noodles
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Pour the water into a large saucepan and bring to boil
- Add the crushed garlic and egg white to the saucepan
- Add salt and pepper, mix and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vermicelli and leave to cook for another 3 minutes.
- In a separate bowl, prepare a mayonnaise using the egg yolk, mustard, oil and some salt and pepper. Dilute the mayonnaise with a bit of the warm stock in the saucepan and the incorporate the diluted mayonnaise delicately into the soup.
- Serve hot.