Energy Balls are a great way to get a healthy shot of protein, carbohydrate and good fats to sustain you during an active day. I love to take these guys hiking and they’re easy to prepare if you’re short on time, just blend and make into balls.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes / Makes 8-9 balls
- 2 cup dried dates, chopped roughly
- 1 cup of desiccated coconut
- 1/2 cup of almonds, chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup pistachios, chopped roughly
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp hot water
- In a food processor, combine dates, almonds, pistachios, sesame seeds, peanut butter honey and water (from the hot water tap is fine). Blend together until it becomes a chunky paste.
- Transfer the mixture from the food processor into a large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the desiccated coconut little by little until the mixture becomes thick and holds it’s form well (you will use about 1/2- 3/4 cup of desiccated coconut)
- Using a heaped tablespoon of mixture, form a ball with your hands and cover each ball with the remaining coconut.
- Continue to make balls with the rest of the mixture.
- The balls will remain in the fridge for one week or the freezer for about one month. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, foil or baking paper to take on your hiking trip to lock in the freshness.