When you’re active outdoors, sometimes you need a lightweight snack to curb your hunger and give you energy. These protein power bars are great for that. I like these for the savoury edge that the tahini provides: sometimes energy bars can be too sweet. No bake and easy to make!
Preparation Time: 15 minutes / makes approximately 10 bars
- 2 cups of rolled oats
- 1/3 cups of dried dates, chopped roughly
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1/3 cup of orange juice
- 2 tbsp almond meal
- 2 tbsp chia seeds
- 1 tbsp sunflower seeds
- In a food processor, blend the rolled oats until it has the texture of coarse meal
- At the same time, soak 1/2 cup of the chopped dates in the orange juice, in a separate bowl (soak these for about 10 minutes)
- Add the soaked dates,orange juice, tahini, almond meal and chia seeds to the food processor. Blend together until it becomes a smooth paste.
- On a baking tray lined with grease proof paper, smooth the mixture into a rectangular shape about 3cm in height (use the back of a spoon or your fingers to smooth out the mixture)
- Press the sunflower seeds and the remainder of the dates onto the top of the mixture.
- Place in the fridge or freezer to allow the mixture to firm. After one hour, cut into individuals serves with a sharp knife
- The bars will remain in the fridge for one week or the freezer for about one month. Wrap individually in plastic wrap, foil or baking paper to take on your hiking trip to lock in the freshness.